Friday, June 20, 2008

Perthection (returning home redux edition)

covers of some vinyl singles from Perth bands


Ten years later and I am moving back to my hometown of Perth to live amongst my family and friends for more than a long weekend at a time.

This also means that I will again have access to the vinyl which has been locked away for all of that time ... so this blog's voyeurs can look forward to future posts on the music I listened to all of those years ago.

As usual there will be some new, old music from Perth as well as many "lost" Australian bands from the 1970s and 1980s. Personally I can't wait to revisit my old singles including such classic Perth bands as Kno Matter, The Triffids, King Pig, the Marigolds, the Stems ... and much, much more which I have undoubtedly forgotten about after all these years.

To celebrate I have revisited this old mix of Perth bands from the 1970's through to the end of the millenia, when I left Perth and moved to Sydney (and then on to Brisbane).

This mix moves from punk to pub rock, surf instros to post-punk, guitar pop and more. This is only the surface of some of the great music that has come from, and continues to be created in, Perth - the world's most isolated city.

Most of these bands I saw live, many I saw numerous times, some I just liked, others I played in, or played gigs with. But it provides an idea of how vibrant the Perth music scene was. Check out the links (within links) if you want to find out more about any of these bands.

The bands featured are the same as for the previous post ... but for long-time voyeurs, and I hope that there are a few of you, I have changed some of the tracks posted ... but which ones?

As always, you need be quick as this mix won't be available for long and if you find something you like, go out and buy a copy for yourself, if you can track it down.

So Something Old, Something New presents "Perthection":-

As Is
The Bamboos
Chads Tree
Dave Warner’s From The Suburbs
Deb
Diddywah Hoodaddys
DM3
The Early Hours
The Feends
Flanders
Helicopters
The Holy Rollers
The Hoovers
The Jackals
Kno Matter
The Kryptonics
The Manikins
The Marigolds
Martha’s Vineyard
The Neptunes
Rabbits Wedding
Rhythm Method
The Rockets
The Scientists
The Stems
Superscope
The Triffids
The Victims
The Waltons
Tune Bureau
Valvolux
Verona
Wormfarm


For those of you who don't want to download this zip file, here are a couple of tracks from bands I played in last millenia which aren't included on this compilation.

As Is - Count To Ten

The Hoovers - I'm An Addict


Perthection
(this is the link to a zip file containing a song from all of the bands listed above)


Do you like these tunes? Then why not support the artists (and my blogging habit) by buying some music. Check out these links:-

1 Comments:

Blogger bazzil said...

Looking forward to hearing some of ya old vinyl... Some good listening awaits no doubt.

Cheers
bazzil

Sun June 22, 10:13:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home