Sunday, May 07, 2006

Perth 1970's - 1990's

Perth, Western Australia

To continue the celebration of a round number (100 000), here's a mix tape from an earlier theme I've been running - bands from my home town of Perth, Western Australia.

Sadly my collection of vinyl singles are locked away in my house in Perth (I'm living in Brisbane now) and many of the classics and treasures are inaccessible. So all I have to post are tracks from the CDs and few vinyl albums I have with me or have acquired recently.

This mix is of bands from Perth from the 1970's through to the end of the millenia, when I had already left Perth and moved to Sydney. This mix moves from punk to pub rock, surf instros to post-punk, guitar pop and more. This is only the surface of some of the great music that has come from, and continues to be created in, Perth - the world's most isolated city.

Most of these bands I saw live, many I saw numerous times, some I just liked, others I played in, or played gigs with. But it will give you an idea of how vibrant the Perth music scene was. Check out the links if you want to find out more about any of these bands.


As Is
The Bamboos
Chads Tree
Dave Warner’s From The Suburbs
Deb
Diddywah Hoodaddys
DM3
The Early Hours
The Feends
Flanders
Helicopters
The Holy Rollers
The Hoovers
The Jackals
Kno Matter
The Kryptonics
The Manikins
The Marigolds
Martha’s Vineyard
The Neptunes
Rabbits Wedding
Rhythm Method
The Rockets
The Scientists
The Stems
Superscope
The Triffids
The Victims
The Waltons
Tune Bureau
Valvolux
Verona
Wormfarm


Perthection
(this is the link to a zip file containing all of the songs listed above)

13 Comments:

Blogger Michael said...

hey Guys,

thanks for the comments.

There really was (and still is) some great music coming out of the isolated city of Perth.

cheers

Michael

Sat May 20, 10:44:00 pm  
Blogger Bernie said...

Hi

Thanks to the Internet I finally found this page. Unfortunately I can not find anything about Kno Matter. I saw this guys in 1986 sowhere in High St Perth (wonderful city!); I was on a 2-year-trip around the world. Now I am an old block. Twenty years has gone!

Do they still play music?
Does a CD exist?

Bernie from Switzerland

Mon Oct 02, 08:08:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you know of any recordings by a perth band called venus girl traps circa early nineties?

Sun Sept 09, 05:54:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great page and site. I am looking for a recording by a perth band called venus girl trap, saw them on visit from sydney early nineties

Tue Sept 11, 11:57:00 am  
Blogger Michael said...

hey anonymous

dunno if there were any recordings by the short-lived Venus Girl Traps

if you're really interested, try contacting John Bannister via his new band, at http://www.charismabrothers.com/


cheers

Michael

Mon Sept 24, 10:50:00 am  
Blogger Michael said...

hey Bernie

sorry for the huge delay in responding

Kno Matter were a great band, and good friends of mine who loved to borrow my Fender Pro Reverb amp for gigs (what great tone that amp has)

sadly the only recordings i have are from the Attic Tapes. I have a copy of their 7" locked away in Perth.

I also had a C90 tape full of recordings of demos and radio interviews back in the late 1980s, but the other side of the tape had Dead Kennedys and i lent this to a work "friend" who lost his job and never returned the tape to me. F*ckr!!

I've asked their drummer Russell Wilson for any music, but all he has is the 7" .... so yet another great Perth band lost to time ...

cheers

Michael

Tue Sept 25, 10:33:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friday nights at the Broadway Tavern 93-95
Great bands went through that place, loved bopping to beaverloops Curltey Ambrose there amongst many great tunes from many great bands

Nice half-imagined memories looking through some of the bands on these pages. Loved one of wormfarms ep's linear notes. Had quite a few 7"s and cds that got 'stolen' from my brother whilst I was overseas, wouldnt know where to start replacing them

Fri Jan 18, 01:01:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

aah, great times. From the 80's saw the Bamboos loads of times at Leederville & Shents usually supported by Mutants of Desire. In fact I have a split Bamboos/Mutants tape that they were selling at the gigs. I managed to get mine signed by both bands. In the 90's I used to go see ace bands like Pink Fluffy Bunnies, Cinema Prague, Elf & The Goon Gut Babies. Such great times.

Mon Sept 01, 08:56:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just happened to come across this site and had quite a nostalgic feeling when reading some of the band names above, and then I thought perhaps you should add some others:
Spliff, Living Single, The Zeroes, The Bargains, The Answer, The Stockings, The Invaders, Missing Persons,- all from the late 70's and early 80's. Ah, they were the days, not to mention the Monday night Jam Sessions at the Loaded Dog Winehouse (where I worked)

Mon Dec 06, 08:59:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about Tony Pola and Paul McCarthys first band "The Transplants". Used to see them at Hernando's in tghe late 70s

Wed Oct 12, 02:56:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember the Transplants from the Stoned Crow Winehouse in 1979. They did a bunch of Paul McCarthy songs later recorded by the Boys.
the members were Tony Pola, Paul McCarthy, Geoff Wood, Reg Massey and I can't remeber the other guitar palyers name but he was pretty good. They played at Hernando's and the Phoenix hotel as well.

Wed Mar 21, 02:48:00 pm  
Blogger Unknown said...

i was trying to remember the name of a band yesterday and i found it here! me and my mate went through a hell of a lot of names of Perth bands...it was Wormfarm which later became Sasquatch for a while...we were talking about this other "sasquatch" band today...anyway i was privileged to have played at all the major pubs of the 90's in Rosie's Kitchen and The Whitlam Years...great memories!

Tue Oct 09, 03:09:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi anyone got anything on The Teeny Weenys? Asking for self...the lead singer. Ta from Yatesy

Mon Dec 02, 01:05:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home